Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Refinishing an old French Provincial dresser


 Five years ago I lived in Bozeman, Montana. I lived in an apartment a couple of blocks from work. It was very convenient. I had been divorced for a year and a half and I met Mark online. After dating for a year back and forth we finally decided to make a change. I decided that I would move to Kalispell and find a place of my own. It was less than a week till we moved me. My neighbor girl was moving out as well. After she left I saw that she had left behind a dresser in her living room. It was painted a horrible shiny gold to look antiqued, like the do to picture frames. No wonder she had left it! The dresser shape itself was beautiful. It had great curves. I found it to be a sexy piece of furniture. So, I moved it in to my apartment to be moved again with me in a week.


I took a picture of the dresser the way that I found it. But after 5 years I can't find the pictures. Dang!


I started the project by researching what to need to do. I needs to get off the horribly ugly paint. This called for a paint stripper, rubber gloves, stripping pads, a plastic scraper with brush and a spray bottle to apply the stripper. I started the project in Mark's basement. It was hard work, I had to strip a few layers. Then I used the random orbital sander and got it down to the wood. I got all of the drawers done and the side of the dresser. I got sick of this project really quick and it got put on the back burner. It was on that burner in fact for 4 years.



Well, I came across the dresser again a couple of weeks ago and decided I should really get 'er done. I put it in the garage instead of the basement. I have something about basements. I just don't like working down there. I feel very lonely there. In the garage I had a lot more light and warm weather that made me want to be out there. I finished stripping it and sanded it all down. The drawers had some wood detailing on the front that was set into a groove. Some of them were broken and irreparable so I dug them all out and filled the grooves with wood filler in a walnut color. It took 2 tubes to fill them all and then sand them down even with the other surface.

 
 


My original idea was to stain the whole dresser. The wood however still had a lot of paint on it that I just couldn't remove. I decided to paint everything but the top and the lip in the middle. That I would stain with Minwax espresso stain and a Polycrylic varnish. The hardware for the drawers I decided were kind of cool looking so I sprayed them with Rustoleum hammered. It was a mettalic looking brown.


 
 
 
 
 
I painted the drawers with two coats of an interior latex paint in a satin finish. I got the color sample size that they sell in Lowes making them only $3. Summertime bloom and teal zeal.

The drawers I lined with a brown paper gift wrap paper that I found in the dollar store. I got a variety of print. I used Mod Podge matte and put an even coat on the inside bottom of the drawer. Then I put the paper in slowly starting in a corner and laying it down pressing out the wrinkles. I did not get them all out but as it dries they lessen. After a couple of hours I then put another coat of mod podge on the top of the paper evenly and they are all ready to go. I love how girly and interesting it makes the dresser. It adds character.

I LOVE the way that it turned out. What do you think? What have you refurbished? Send me some of your pictures!





 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Shawnae,
    Wow! I'm really impressed. That chest of drawers was really a mess when you found it. It is terrific, now! You really did nice work! Congratulations! Where are you going to put it?
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom, Thanks so much. I have moved it into my bedroom and moved my old one up to the guest bedroom. It looks wonderful and girly. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete