Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 5, still Green Turtle Cay

The rain storms just keep coming. Last night when we anchored we put up both of our "sun shades". We never expected they would become rain tents. Our boat leaks. We have now discovered that our boat leaks A LOT. My bunk was soaking wet from the waist down to my toes. So, I made up my my bed on the dinette. It was wet too but it was the drier of the 2. I was woken up quite a few times in the night, by slapping halyards, tiller handle banging, Mark snoring and just the weather. Though we had everything secured down they still found a way to make noise.  So, I put in my ear plugs, Mark came over and cuddled with me, and I went back to sleep.
Morning came with new hopes and excitement for the day. The weather report predicts 90% chance of rain and 70% tomorrow. Oh boy did the skies ever open up. Rain is still drenching us inside the boat. We are not going anywhere sailing for the day so we prepared a bag with everything in zip loc bags (I bought XL ones for our computers) and bed sheets in a plastic bag to put into the dryer. We will wait for the rain to slow then we will head for shore and get some things done there while we wait. 
We went to the library which was an old building with I am sure a lot of history. In the one wall I see what once was possibly a fire oven. A bakery or a blacksmith? The place has 3 small rooms. You can check out books for 2 weeks or exchange 1 for 1 paperback books. Ours are so water logged I doubt they would accept ours on trade. They also had internet but it was secured and the volunteer who worked there left and we had no way to sign on. The hours of all of the businesses here are on "island time" , 10 till ???. I wish that my work schedule was like that. And if it rains they just close and go home.
We went and had lunch at McIntosh. We were told they had wifi if you purchased a meal. So we did purchase our first meal on an island here and we were both disappointed. My conch chowder tasted like Cambells soup, literally, with the tiniest pieces of conch. And that wifi thing? No longer offered. Grrrr! Not a place I will suggest to anyone on Trip Advisor. Across the street was the over ground graveyard with a ton of history and memories in there.
The pink building pictured is ye olde gaol. That is what the sign says. Lol.
We went to the Leeward marina for laundry. It cost us $4 to dry our soggy sheets. So worth it. Now we are not part of the marina so we are kind of crashing the place. The guy was cleaning the bathroom and walked away for a bit, so I dunked my head into the sink and washed my hair with the liquid hand soap. OMG! It felt so good having clean hair. I threw it back into a ponytail, threw on my hat. When I get back to the boat I will put in hair conditioner and have Mark rinse me.
We made it back to the boat and we were told by the cruiser next to us, a mom with here 3 boys , that Pineapple's bar and grill has wifi. So we threw our stuff into LG again and tried to beat the arriving rain storm. We didn't make it though. We made it part way to the dock and the sky opened up again. There is so much rain coming down. Amazing.  We stood and waited for what seemed like forever. Mark ran over to Pineapples in the rain and got a little bit sent. I will try tomorrow.
We are stuck here again tomorrow due to the weather unless it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment