Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIY Fender Bags

With our trip to the Bahamas in the near future, nearer than I can believe, I am thinking about all of the items we are going to have to store in such a small little space. With this comes careful organization. I do kind of get obsessed with this and it could eat me alive. But to be able to make it through 2 months in a 27' space I am planning ahead. Where does everyone put their fenders? There are four of them and they get wet and messy. During the summer on the lake once we left the dock they either went into the seats in the cockpit or in the cabin on the quarter berth. We are going to be using those seats for other storage and the quarter berth will now be my bed. That means no wet and dirty fenders allowed. I have searched on the internet for pictures and post of what other cruisers are doing with this issue. I have seen single and double fender bags and heard pros and cons. The pros won out and I devised a plan for ours.

I went shopping for cargo netting and white webbing at JoAnns fabrics and Wal Mart and then used the Captain Navy color sunbrella for the backing. I had no pattern to go from, just the picture in my head. I did use the actual fenders, laying them on the fabric and guess work. I got it all finished. I can't wait to try it out.


1 comment:

  1. That looks great! Just found your blog after seeing you post on our Facebook page. It sounds like you are going to have a grand adventure sooner rather than later! I love the idea of trailering the boat down to Florida and then jumping off from there. We had a Catalina 27 as our first boat and really loved her. I'm posting from our current anchorage just across the water from Seattle, so I'll check out your blog further when we get home!

    ReplyDelete